Whoa, I’m writing this after I finished the rest of the post. Get ready folks – this is a long one! But an exciting one too! And it is full of lists. You know how I feel about lists!
I turn 29 today. I can’t really believe it. I seems like just yesterday I was excited about hitting the “double digits”, then becoming a teenager, then getting my driver’s license, then being “legal”, then turning 25 (and being able to finally rent a car without additional fees). And today…. 29. Twenty-nine. A fully qualified lawyer. An on-my-way-to-being-successful wedding photographer. A wife.
My 20s have been pretty awesome. At 20, I captained the inaugural U of A UBG team, and met the man who would, 7 years later, become my husband. At 21, I lived in Hong Kong, where I fell in love with the future hubs, and then promptly asked him to wait, while I travelled around the world – on my own – for six months. At 22, I received my BComm, traveled through the backwaters of China and Laos with the future hubs, and started law school. At 23, I had the best summer job ever and I moved in to the best apartment ever with the future hubs. At 24, I had my first taste of life as a lawyer, I lived through a crazy windstorm and my father’s kicking prostate cancer in the ass. At 25, I graduated from law school and started a year long adventure around the world with the future hubs. At 26, I got engaged, continued to travel around the world, moved to Toronto, began articling to be a lawyer. At 27, I started moonlighting as a wedding photographer, married the man of my dreams and got called to the bar in Ontario, becoming a fully fledged tax lawyer. At 28, I visited Antigua, New York, San Francisco, La Quinta, Boston, Montreal, Edmonton, Paris, the South of France (on the funnest vacation of my life), Barcelona, and Canmore. I started this blog. I grew my photography business substantially. I did a lot of soul searching. And I can’t wait for 29. Big things are in store for me, and for you, dear blog reader! You’ll just have to wait a month or two for more details as we iron them out. I can’t wait to share!
29 is going to be a big year for me, a scary year, a great year, a stressful year, and hopefully the best year so far. And to celebrate this entire year of being 29, I’m going to do a 30-before-30 project! I’m introducing the list in this post, but will be updating it over on this “30-before-30” page! As you all know (all too well, I’m sure), real life doesn’t always fit squarely in boxes… so some of the things on the 30-before-30 list are fillers. You’ll just have to guess what they are!
So. Here goes. Check out my official 30-before-30 page (see that cute link in the menu, above) throughout the year for updates to see just how I’m doing on completing some of these lofty goals!
- Start Project The Rest of My Life.
- Go to Antarctica, the last continent.
- Photograph my grandparents in a “Love” session celebrating their 60th anniversary.
- Book and shoot at least 10 weddings as the primary photographer.
- Make a wickedly awesome video application for a CreativeLive course and hope to get selected!
- Learn to Tango.
- Dance like no one is watching.
- Convince my brother to let me plan his wedding. Dan … I know you’re reading … Sure, it is your wedding, but today is my birthday, after all!
- Get back out to the mountains in the winter (i.e., more skiing). I’ve missed it!
- Learn basic (or not so basic) web-development skills.
- Improve my Spanish skills.
- Become a better food photographer.
- Become a better proofreader.
- Cook something that takes more than one day.
- Clean my oven.
- Learn how to use stumble upon and spend at least 4-6 weeks trying it out.
- Master the art (and the manual focus) of my new film camera.
- Be less afraid.
- Find a friend with a sail boat who will teach me how to sail, so one day I can disappear and sail around the world.
- Figure out a workout regime (hopefully running) that works for me. Ankle, don’t fail me now! (Updated: I started drafting this list about a month ago – just yesterday I had to go into physio for my ankle… but at least I’m dealing with it!)
- Do a 365 project – i.e., take and post a photo a day – (For serious. Starting today. Follow on my tumblr).
- Find (or create) a great community of photographers to be friends & colleagues.
- Develop relationships with other wedding vendors.
- Set up and shoot a styled shoot with awesome wedding vendors.
- Start a series on my photography blog (or this blog?) where I interview influential wedding photographers (or other wedding vendors).
- Get new business cards.
- Come up with a sweet database of lunch ideas, both for home and brown bag style.
- Better arrange my sweet database of dinner ideas so picking meals is easy (grocery lists are all ready easy thanks to mealboard)!
- Post at least one new food post (recipe or otherwise) on the blog, every single week.
- Spend more time in Alberta with my family and friends, including all the new (and not-so-new) babies and kids in my life.
2 Replies to “twenty-nine”
Happy Birthday Allison!
I love this post. SO ambitious! You are incredibly inspirational. I hope you achieve everything you dream of. All the best!
Happy belated birthday!!
I swear we are twins in a parallel universe! :) I turned 29 (and a half) on Sept 30, and have 30-before-30 list patiently waiting in my “to post” list (life has a way of getting in the way sometimes). I might just have to make the time to click “POST” tonight!
Best of luck with your list, and I look forward to hearing about the exciting things ahead :)