Thanks to everyone who has expressed concern about my death cold. It’s slowly but surely going the way of the dodo bird, woohoo! Though at day number 11, I certainly wish it was just gone. But don’t worry, it didn’t stop me from shooting the heck out of a super cool trash the dress session on Saturday evening!
So, back to business: this post brings you not one but two delicious recipes, just in time for the heat of summer! The first up—one I can’t believe that I haven’t shared before—Debbie‘s Dilled Potato Salad.
I tasted this salad on my first trip to Ottawa in 2005 or 2006 to meet the future in-laws, and I’ve been making it (and sharing it) ever since. Anyone who tries this potato salad wants the recipe. It’s that good. But vegetarians beware, there is a secret ingredient (ok… bacon) that makes it veggie-unfriendly. For those of us non-veggies: well, that secret ingredient makes it seriously delicious. To top it off, we got new potatoes from our CSA this week. Farm fresh potatoes + Debbie’s Potato Salad = oh.my.goodness.delicious.
So, I was most excited about the potato salad last night. But I decided to go a little crazy and make a jalapeno potato chip crusted chicken inspired by this recipe I came across on (you guessed it) Pinterest. This is not your basic good-for-you chicken breast. Its second main ingredient? Crushed Miss Vickie’s Jalapeno Chips. I wish I could explain in words how delicious this chicken was. But I’m struggling, so I’ll just go with: so delicious I’m going to have to actively stop myself from making it every single week this summer. And the icing on the cake? It’s super simple.
Debbie’s Dilled Potato Salad
Note: This is the recipe that Debbie shared with me in 2005, the recipe in our wedding cookbook from Debbie (2010) uses less mayo (3/4 cup) and has a few additional ingredients (1 tsp of red wine vinegar, 1 tsp of lemon juice, and 3 tbsp of olive oil), but I prefer the simple flavours in the original.
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 1/2 lb small red potatoes (or new potatoes, if in season)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (green and white parts)
- 1 cup mayo (or 3/4 cup mayo, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp red wine vinegar see note )
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- Optional (and delicious): 1/2 tsp celery seed or salt
- Cook bacon, let cool, then crumble. Cook and chop potatoes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix ingredients for dressing.
- Combine bacon, potatoes, and green onion in a bowl. Pour dressing over salad and toss.
Jalapeno Crusted Chicken
Inspired by: Life as a Mrs.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- pinch (or dash or several shakes) cayenne pepper
- 1 bag crushed Miss Vickies (or Kettle) Jalapeno Chips
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchement paper and place an oven safe cooling rack on top.
- Beat egg + cayenne pepper in a shallow dish. Crush chips in a second shallow dish.
- Dip chicken breast in egg mixture and then in chips. Ensure there is a healthy (i.e., thick) coating of chips on all sides of the chicken. Place on cooling rack.
- Bake at 325F for 25-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
One Reply to “debbies potato salad + jalapeno chicken”
Yum! My stomach is growling just reading this! My mom used to make “potato chip chicken” when we were kids! I bet using jalapeno chips was delish!!